Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I am the decisive element

Amy presented this beautiful quote at my toastmasters meeting a couple of weeks ago...  

I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element.  It is my personal approach that creates the climate.  It is my daily mood that makes the weather.  I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous.  I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized.  If we treat people as they are, we make them worse.  If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.

~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

2 comments:

  1. I had read (and was moved) (and then forgot it) the last line many many years ago, in a book by MM (y'know, my hero). I can't remember if Goethe was cited there or not, but the sentiment was powerful. You can understand my infatuation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your infatuation :) I actually like the first part of the quote more -- the part about creating the climate and making the weather and the power that we have to make things better or worse. That part really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete