Sunday, November 13, 2011

Writing and learning

I struggle for hours sometimes, trying to think of something to write.  I don't know why I find it so hard.  It's not for a lack of things to say.  I've got tons on my mind.  I think the problem is that I want to get it right (the first time, of course!).  So, if I don't think I can get it right the first time -- if I can't think through the whole brilliant piece that I want to write from beginning to end -- then I don't even try.  I don't even start.  Not a word is written.  It's ridiculous. 

I think this is my manifestation of the fixed mindset that Carol Dweck writes about.  The fixed mindset says that you are born with as much talent or ability or intelligence as you'll ever have.  So, if you have a fixed mindset, you're afraid of failure because you feel it will be a damning indictment on you -- on your intelligence, on your abilities, on your potential for success.  And you get so afraid of failure, that you don't even try.

The alternative is a growth mindset.  Those with a growth mindset believe that talent, ability and intelligence are built through effort.  They see failure as milestones on the road to success -- as building blocks and learning opportunities.  You need to make mistakes because that's how you learn.

That's what I'm trying to do with in writing every day.  No, not the mistakes, but the learning.  And I know that to learn, I've got to try and practice.  And I'll make mistakes.  But that's how I'm going to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment