Monday, November 14, 2011

Activation energy

In chemistry, the activation energy is the energy you need to start a chemcal reaction.  Once this energy is put into the system, the reaction will go on its own, often producing much more than the energy required to start it.  For example, a little bit of heat is required to start a fire.  Once we have that spark, the fire burns on its own, releasing much more energy than that little spark used to light it.

I find that a lot of the things we do are like that chemical reaction.  You have to put a little bit of effort into it to begin with, but once you get started, the ball starts rolling and in the end, you get a lot more out of it than you put in.  For example, today, I went out for a run for the first time in a long time.  All I really had to do was decide to go, put on my sneakers and get outside.  Once I'm out there with my running buddy, the running takes care of itself and in the end, I feel great.

Similarly, I love visiting people.  I always find that it makes me really happy.  All I need to do is pick up the phone, set a time and date and the rest takes care of itself.  And in the end, I've gotten so much more out of it than I put in.

The same thing happens with my sewing.  I just pick the fabric and a project as simple as a drawstring bag and fifteen minutes later, I've got a new reusable bag, reduced my fabric stash, and I feel awesome.

The thing is, sometimes, even that little bit of activation energy becomes a barrier.  This is especially true when there are so many options that require almost no activation energy -- things like surfing the internet or checking my email or watching TV.  They're not just attention leaks, they're time and opportunity leaks too. That's just another reason why I try to limit my media consumption.

Almost invariably, once I do invest the energy to start some activity, I don't regret it and, on the contrary, I'm very happy that I made that decision.  I just need to remind myself that the activation energy of the activities is but a small investment for a much larger reward.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for being the activation energy for me many times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Memona! And thank you for having been my activation energy and so much more!

    ReplyDelete