Thursday, November 17, 2011

A safety net

Imagine a narrow plank, straddled between the tops of two tall buildings on opposite sides of a busy street.  If you were offered a million dollars to walk from one end of the plank to the other, would you do it?  I wouldn't.

What if there was a safety net between the plank and the traffic below?  Then I might give it a shot.

Even though I might never--and certainly don't plan to--use the safety net, its mere presence makes a huge difference.  It's the difference between trying something and possibly succeeding and doing nothing and certainly failing (or at least causing nothing to change).  This is true not just of physical safety nets, but other types of safety nets as well.

In Toastmasters, the group creates a safe environment for members to practice their public speaking.  The safe environment allows people to build their confidence, improve their skills and gain experience, knowing that even if they make mistakes, they're not going to get hurt.  They're safe.

The first few times I took on big projects, I did them knowing that if there was ever anything I couldn't handle, I could turn to my family for help.  If all else failed, I knew they would step in, drive me wherever I needed to go at whatever hour of the night, be the extra pair of hands to keep things from falling apart or offer the listening ear to help me figure out a solution.  Even if I had never ended up needing their help, just knowing that it was going to be there allowed me to try things I would have otherwise shied away from.

The safety net makes a huge difference.  It's the difference between trying and failing, learning and stagnating, daring to make a change and settling for the status quo.

Who's your safety net?  How can you be one for someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment