Friday, September 30, 2011

Courage and the comfort zone

I've always admired courage -- speaking out against injustice, challenging the status quo, doing what's right in the face of everyone telling you you're wrong.  That's what makes a hero.  Heroes have the courage of their convictions.  I've been reading about these heroes since I was a kid.

By definition, courage can only be exhibited outside the comfort zone.  Trying to be courageous while staying in your comfort zone is about as meaningful as trying to swim on dry land.  Just as swimming only exists in the presence of water, courage only exists in the presence of fear or uncertainty.

My good friend Nazima reminded me of this today.  Because they are frightening and uncomfortable, it is in those times when the odds seem stacked against us and we don't know how it's going to turn out -- that's when we have the chance to display courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment